Screenshots are a great way to share your experiences with others. In this article, we’ll show you how to take screenshots in the HTC Vive using SteamVR.
Screenshots are a great way to capture your VR experience. In order to take screenshots in the HTC Vive using SteamVR, you’ll need to use the Steam VR screenshot command.
The HTC Vive is one of the finest virtual reality headsets for gaming, but it has a few flaws. One of these peculiarities is the inability to capture screenshots in-game. Because the headset displays your view on the screen using an external camera, there is no way to record what you see with the headset.
This guide will show you how to use SteamVR to capture screenshots in the HTC Vive.
A common issue with virtual reality headsets is the inability to rapidly shoot and share video with peers. High-end headsets, such as the HTC Vive, act as a full-fledged display. This makes obtaining the visual feed from the headset much more difficult for those who have tried.
SteamVR is constantly improving the HTC Vive, and one of the most recent additions is quick access to screenshots. This feature allows you to quickly capture screenshots from inside your favorite games simply clicking two buttons.
Here’s how to send your friends a screenshot captured using the HTC Vive.
Take a screenshot using the HTC Vive.
The snapshot feature in SteamVR is based on an existing Steam feature that allows users to capture and share screenshots fast. For the HTC Vive, this has been modified, and you may now capture screenshots in any SteamVR game.
- Open SteamVR and start playing one of your favorite games.
- Hold down the System Button and the Right Trigger at the same time to take a screenshot.
Screenshots may also be taken using a standard keyboard shortcut, similar to how they are done in other Steam games. This method may be used by pressing the F12 key on the keyboard while gazing at the game’s on-screen mirror.
You may view your screenshots using the HTC Vive (Simple)
Screenshots taken using the aforementioned method may be seen in the HTC Vive through SteamVR. While using the headset, saved screenshots will be shown as three-dimensional images. The sense of depth is maintained within scenes, although just a tiny part of the picture is captured.
- In SteamVR, go to the game that shows in the screenshot.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the Screenshots option (pictured above).
- Select them to view the image thumbnails in 3D inside the headset.
You can view your screenshots in Windows (Advanced)
SteamVR’s highly limited environment is an apparent issue, since it has yet to enable any sort of social networking sharing. Using Windows’ File Explorer, you may get screenshots taken with the headset from Steam’s program files. Because snapshot file paths differ across computers, locating the images may take some time. We can’t provide you a particular file location for your screenshots, but here’s what you should look for.
- Navigate to the userdata folder on the Steam installation drive. This is a common occurrence under C: Programming Files (x86) Steamuserdata
- It may be difficult to locate the screenshots folder due to device differences. The names of several folders are made up of random numbers, which rapidly adds to the confusion. Screenshots will be kept in a folder with a directory structure similar to the one shown below.
remote > String of numbers (3) > screenshots > userdata > String of numbers (1) > String of numbers (2) > remote > String of numbers (3) > screenshots
- The third string of numbers in each title acts as a unique identifier. Each game will be placed in its own folder, complete with screenshots.
Most Commonly Asked Questions
Where have all of my screenshots from Steam VR gone?
This isn’t a question at all.
How do you snap a picture in virtual reality?
You’ll need to utilize the camera on your phone or tablet to snap a picture in VR. Any 360-degree camera that is compatible with the app may also be used.
Tags that are related
- oculus quest steam vr screenshot
- index of steam vr screenshots
- folder with screenshots from steamvr
- folder with screenshots from the valve index
- on quest, how to capture photos in vrchat
The HTC Vive is a virtual reality headset that allows users to experience games and apps in a whole new way. One of the features of the HTC Vive is being able to take screenshots. Reference: how to take a screenshot in vr index.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are my steam VR screenshots?
Your Steam screenshots are saved in your My Documents folder.
How do you take a photo on VR?
You can use a VR headset to take photos.
- steamvr screenshot oculus
- steamvr screenshot folder
- steam vr screenshot index
- valve index screenshot folder
- how to take pictures in vrchat on quest